An outstanding collection of Chinese porcelain is displayed in the
dining room as well as a circa 1750 Crown Great Chair (Heart and
Crown), a form unique to this area. A huge fireplace, complete with
period accessories, dominates the kitchen. A rare 18th century clothes
press, original to the house, is located in the "west chamber"
along with a canopy bed on which is a candlewick spread dated "1808
MB". The fireplace wall of this room exhibits its original
paneling. Slave quarters and displays of fishing, oystering, and
farming tools are located in the basement.
to the Judson House is the modern Catharine Bunnell Mitchell Museum
with permanent exhibits of Stratford history and changing gallery
exhibits which feature items from the collections of the Stratford
extensive Genealogy library is located in the Office area of the
Museum and is available to the public on Tuesdays and Thursdays
from 9:00 am to 2:30 pm year round. Genealogical requests may be
made by telephone, e-mail, U.S. mail and in person.
Beach Family Carriage House: The carriage house, built
approximately 1880-1885, was built by the prominent Beach family
of 1812 Elm St. The carriage and horse were housed on the ground
floor while the upper floor was used for storage of hay and grains.
1909, when electricity came to Stratford, the Beach family owned
a gasoline-powered electric generator which benefited several houses
in the Elm St. area. The original green glass insulators on the
building probably date to the turn of the 20th century. The upper
level was used for many years for Halloween parties and other family
and neighborhood gatherings.
In late February 2004, the Stratford Historical Society was given
the opportunity to acquire and move the Carriage House which was
in the way of development of the property at 1812 Elm St. The Society
accepted the challenge, saved the building, and celebrated its re-birth
in August 2005. If you would care to participate in this project,
you may make a donation to help fund the effort.
& SEASON: Judson House and the Catharine B.
Mitchell Museum are open from the first Sunday in June through October,
Wednesday and Sunday from Noon to 4:00 p.m. Last entry at 3:00 p.m.
School tours may be scheduled for May, June, September and October.
office is open year round on Tues. & Thurs. from 9 to 2:30.
The office can be contacted for further information and research
at (203) 378-0630. The address is as follows:
Stratford, CT 06615-0382